There is a special feeling that goes along with a coffee from an expert barista. The smell of the coffee shop, the beautiful presentation, and that first hot sip all come together to make the experience whole. For many, the ritual of the perfect cappuccino is a morning routine. It is also a great accessory when spending time with good friends.
The only thing that could make the coffee shop experience better is enjoying the perfect cappuccino at your own kitchen table or curled up on your couch. Do you want to recreate these coffee shop delights in your own home? This can be accomplished with the right machine. It can be hard to find one that makes a quality drink but is also easy to use. This article highlights the best cappuccino machines for you so you can become your own barista in minimal time.
Top 7 Best Cappuccino Machines
1. Mr. Coffee Ecmp1000- Café Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
- Removable milk reservoir for storage of leftovers
- Electronic control panel
- Single or double shot choice
- Frothed milk dispenses into the designated drinks
- Water storage container can be removed for easy cleaning
The compact design of this machine makes it easy to fit in even a small kitchen. Mr. Coffee has been around since the 1970’s, giving you the reassurance of a reliable brand. You are not limited to only cappuccinos with this machine. You can also enjoy professional quality espressos and lattes. Your favorite drinks can be made with the touch of a button and the milk is frothed for you with no need for manual operation. Make your favorite drinks quickly on a busy morning.
- Automatically makes the drink you choose with a button- no confusing routine
- Machine milk frothing- no mess, less time consuming
- Fast cappuccino making for busy mornings
- Recipes for this machine are included
- Adjustable tray for different types of cups-enjoy a regular size cup at home or fill up your travel mug for a long day
- Inconsistent performance
- Removable water reservoir does not go back on properly
- Only lasts a year or two
2. DeLonghi-EC155 Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- Self-priming means you don’t have to wait long for your cup of coffee
- Clear water tank helps you keep track of usage
- Choice between one or two shots
- 2 thermometers- one for water, one for steam
- Steam release is adjustable
This machine brings professional quality beverages to your home. The DeLonghi-EC155 is a manual machine more like the one’s coffee shops use, yet it is perfectly sized for a home kitchen. The feature that sets this machine apart is the sensitive temperature control. The water and steam are held at different temperatures and this stays steady if the machine is in use. The water container stays fresh since you can remove it to clean as needed. You have the option to use pods for those days when you need to move a little faster, as well.
- Professional quality beverages
- Use coffee grounds or pods
- Water reservoir is easy to remove
- Separate thermostats for steam and water- the perfect temperature beverage every time
- Durable and easy to clean stainless steel
- Milk frother is not automatic
- The three-foot electric cord limits options of where to put this machine
- Coffee basket gets messy with each use and must be cleaned well, a common issue with budget priced machines
3. Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
- Manual steam wand
- Dial for adjusting the amount of grinding
- Express heating system- 3 seconds
- Compact design
- A variety of filters for different levels of experience
This machine is designed to bring you the taste of coffee shop beverages. Home brewed coffee often tasted different because it is ground quite a while before you use it and the right amount of freshly ground beans may not be used. The Breville Barista Express measures the right amount of beans to bring a better flavor to each type of drink you choose. The temperature is also an issue when it comes to getting the best drink. Temperature control and proper pressure for the extraction process is an important feature of this espresso machine.
- Built in grinder improves quality of beverages- fresh every time
- Fast heat up makes it easy to make more than one beverage in row
- Machine goes into standby in one hour and turns itself off in 3 hours if you forget to do it
- Messy- the drip tray harbors coffee buildup and grinding make a mess
- Difficult to clean
4. Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- Removable water container for easy cleaning
- Grinder for extra fresh coffee
- Pannarello steam wand- brings air into the milk for the perfect foam
- Short enough to fit well under cabinets
- Machine learns how you like your beans ground and adjusts as it learns your style
Straight from Italy, this brand is known for its excellence in coffee beverages. This allows you to have the drinks you want without using steam. While this machine may be known for its espresso technology, it also makes cappuccino. The frothing wand, called the Pannarello wand allows you to make a milk topping for your caffeinated beverages, as well as your winter hot chocolate.
- The water reservoir and dreg are removable and release from the front of the machine
- Steam level heat in less than 10 seconds
- Choice to brew with ground coffee or whole bean
- Small reservoir size
- Water filter is not included- must be ordered separately if you want it
- Limited grinder settings
5. DeLohghi Nespresso Lattissima Pro Espresso Machine
- One touch gives you the drink of your choice
- Aluminum capsules with pre-measured grounds for perfect espressos with no mess
- The perfect amount of pressure for consistent temperature and robust flavor
- Machine measures milk for you depending on your taste preference
- Heats in seconds for busy mornings
This machine is made for those that want traditional Italian brews with minimal effort. The one touch system allows you to choose from several different drinks, including cappuccino, espresso, and lattes. You an even choose hot water to make tea or hot milk for the kid’s favorite hot chocolate. The entire family can enjoy this machine. The stainless steel is easy to clean and compliments any kitchen décor. The innovative capsule system and automatic cappuccino feature make it easy to make your favorite drinks even when you are in a hurry.
- Large water reservoir makes it easy to make several cups in a row
- Sealed milk container that easily removes for refrigerator storage
- Easily makes layered drinks with foam, as well as beverages topped with foam
- Minimal clean-up required due to the Nespresso pods
- Nespresso coffee pods only available from the company
- The one-touch system could be easier, you must learn about the pictures that represent each drink choice
- Density of foam needs improvement
6. Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
- Choose your shot details with adjustable dials
- Accurate PID temperature control
- LCD display for better control and timed extractions
- Low pressure prior to infusion so coffee grounds get properly soaked
- Dual boilers and pumps
There are a lot of extras on this Breville model. You can choose from a variety of settings to make your espresso and cappuccinos exactly how you like them. The key features that make your coffee drinks more precise are all included on this machine. The dual boiler heater sets it apart, however. The temperature of your espresso is controlled by separately from the steam boiler for the milk using a PID system. This advanced technology ensures that the temperature stays steady throughout the grinding and brewing process. Even small changes can ruin the taste of an espresso or cappuccino.
- drip tray easy to remove for cleaning
- hidden section for storing tools
- durable, long lasting
- Plastic screen may break often and need replacing
- Large size doesn’t fit well in compact kitchens
- Takes practice to get the right setting for your coffee been grinding
7. Delonghi ECAM22110B Super Automatic Espresso, Latte and Cappuccino Machine
- Temperature control
- Control panel for drink customization
- works with beans or pre-ground coffee
- compact to fit easily into your kitchen
- removeable brew unit for easy cleaning
This Delonghi version is made to fit well into any size kitchen with its compact design. It has a single boiler system and two compartments to satisfy your desire for either whole bean or pre-ground coffee at any time. Precise temperature control makes it easy to make specialty drinks for everyone right away during the breakfast hour.
You can adjust the strength of your beverage, as well. This makes it easy to have a strong coffee before you leave for work and a milder one with your evening desert. The steam milk frother is manual, allowing you to make your foam exactly how you like it. This machine allows you to customize your drinks and has both automatic espresso settings, while the cappuccino components are manual.
- easy to use
- alerts for low water, full drip tray, and full coffee ground container
- grinder stalls if you do not manually stir beans
- pressure needs to be higher for cappuccino
- limited movement on steam wand
Things to Consider Before Buying a Cappuccino Machine
A specialty coffee can be a fun party of your morning routine. Many people drag themselves out the door for an early work morning with their favorite cappuccino or espresso in mind. The expense of this habit can add up, however. You may also like to have your favorite coffee on a Saturday morning without changing out of your pajamas.
A cappuccino machine can save money over time when you make your own drinks. With some models, you can have a luxury espresso or latte with the touch of a button. Frothed milk isn’t just for visit to your local café. All of this can be done at home. There are some things to consider when you begin searching for a cappuccino machine.
Coffee shop drinks cost more than those you make at home. You are paying for the service and atmosphere, not just the beverage. Even with one cup a day, you can easily spend a couple of hundred dollars each month. A cappuccino machine can be an investment. You may spend more money up front, yet you end up spending less in the long-run.
When you buy from a coffee shop, you only have access to their brand of coffee. You can purchase different brands and flavors to find out what you like best or to simply have a variety to choose from. You can also have many different types of drinks in one day. Enjoy more choices with a machine at your disposal.
Try out different flavors and brands
Enjoy an espresso in the morning and a cappuccino later in the day
Customize your drink without having to explain the details to a barista
Learn Something New
It is important to do your research before you bring home a cappuccino machine. Some work better for beginners, while others have more advanced controls and variation. You may want to consider a fully automated machine if you have never made specialty drinks on your own. If you prefer to learn how to make complex layered drinks and how to find the perfect grinder settings, a more advance model may be a good addition to your home.
Parties and Gatherings
Many people like to serve coffee at their parties or family gatherings. If you are looking for a machine that can hold up to this type of activity, it must have a large water reservoir and a good temperature control. A double boiler system ensures the proper temperature for both water and steam. When the temperature is not precise, quality of the drinks is compromised. A manual frother can make a more customized foam, however, it can also take more time. If you are using the machine to entertain a large group, a machine that does everything for you may save you some time.
One Machine for Everything
If you pick the right machine, you can use it for specialty drinks, as well as regular coffee. Some machines have two portals for receiving coffee beans or grounds. One side is equipped with a grinder for fresh espresso from the bean. The other is for pre-ground coffee beans.
Some cappuccino makers can even provide you with hot milk or water instead of coffee. This can be great if you have kids that like to have a hot cocoa in the winter. Hot water can be used to make tea, as well. When you have one machine that accomplishes a lot of things, it can clear up some counter space. This also saves money, as you only have to buy one device.
It is easy to let a complex machine sit for a long time without getting proper cleaning. It is important to find out what parts come off before you get home and become frustrated when its time to clean the machine. The water reservoir is not the only thing that can be removed for cleaning up. The milk container on an automated frother should be removable so you can store leftover milk in the fridge. Check for several removeable parts for easy cleanup. A machine that is hard to clean can harbor buildup that causes it to be unsanitary.
- Removeable parts
- Efficient drip tray
- Stainless steel keeps a nice shine
- The Extras
Many of these machines come with some extras that make your coffee time even more luxurious. A double boiling system makes the extraction and brewing process much more precise, making it more likely to taste like a professional made it. A warming tray keeps your coffee hot if you need to set it down for a few minutes, as well.
Steam wands are a great asset for the machines with manual frothers. You can use these to get your foam to the consistency that you prefer. An automatic shutoff feature is helpful if you are in a hurry in the morning and forget to turn off your coffee maker. This is both a safety and energy saving feature.
- Double boiling systems to keep water and steam at the perfect temperature
- Warming tray to keep your special beverage hot
- Steam wand frother
- Automatic shutoff for safety
Appliances can take up a lot of room on your kitchen cabinets. Toasters, small ovens, and crock pots often get left out for daily use. Your current coffee maker may fit nicely in a little corner. Think about how much cabinet space you are willing to give up for a cappuccino maker. If this machine is a priority you may be fine sacrificing a large amount of counter space.
Machines with many accessories need ample space. Some are also very tall. Check the measurements to make sure there is enough clearance with your overhead cabinets. Some are purposely made shorter to accommodate low cabinets. A device that is too tall to fit often sticks out awkwardly or sits too close to the edge.
- Leave room to comfortably use all the accessories and remove the reservoir and frother
- Check the height that your cabinets can accommodate
- Look for a model that fits into your available space
- Some compact models still have a variety of features
- Consider an alternate location such as the breakfast bar or a separate kitchen cart
When you are ready to purchase an espresso and cappuccino maker, there are many different things to think about. Each person has their individual preferences when it comes their specialty coffee beverages. There are some professional tactics used to get the milk frothed to the right consistency and the flavor extracted properly from the beans.
The grinding of the beans, temperature, and pressure all contribute heavily to the final flavor. Research the features on your favorite machine models to make sure these items are covered. You also need to make sure you choose a model that fits nicely in your kitchen. Even the basic models have features that allow for professional style beverages in your own home.